I've got a good feeling about this

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Porta-cath not Mediport


I was mixing up my terminology the other day. I had a porta-cath installed in my chest. The procedure was pretty simple, and I was asleep for its entirety. Now my left shoulder is just sore as can be. That should ease up a bit as the incision heals. My spirits are pretty high, and I'm anxious to start treatment.

I go in early Monday morning for a CT to check if there are any signs of metastasis, then I meet on Wednesday with my oncologist. I expect that I'll start both chemo and radiation therapy shortly.

According to my surgeon the gameplan is to have 3 months of chemo/radiation therapy to shrink the tumor as much as possible. This called neoadjuvent therapy. Then the surgeon will remove the tumor in a procedure known as resection. Afterwards I'll have at least 3 more months of chemo depending on the results of the surgery.

I'm reading Lance Armstrong's book "It's Not About The Bike," detailing his recovery from testicular cancer that had metastasized to his lungs and brain. Even forgetting the parts about his cancer, he's an inspirational story. On the same note, if you've been afraid to have a colonscopy, or thought that you weren't at risk, please reconsider. The procedure is simple, relatively painless (this is coming from a guy who's a wimp), and could save your life. Colorectal cancer is the #2 killer of cancer, largely because it's discovered too late. When it's discovered at its early stages, the prognosis is excellent. So, don't be a wimp!

The picture is from a stormy day a few weeks ago. Our house overlooks a field that will eventually become a elementary school. Click on the picture to see the image at full size.

Love,

Cj

2 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi chris,

that is an awesome photograph of the stormy sky with the house just peeking in from the right. it's very dark and beautiful. we are thinking of you and sending our thoughts for a quick recovery. i have enjoyed reading your entries so far and look forward to more writeups. it's a great way to keep us informed as well as a healthy release for you.

-Lisa Wong (I am Nick Jackson's fiance. Nick is your cousin. Your father, our Uncle Mick, will be marrying us in August!)

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger   said...

Congratulations! Dad had mentioned the upcoming wedding, but it's nice to meet you (even if it is "virtually").

Fortunately, storms like in the photo are the exception in Nebraska. Usually it's just clear and hot in the summer. Hopefully that'll be the same forecast for my recovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home