I've got a good feeling about this

Sunday, December 04, 2005

There's no place like home

Amidst the crisp cold winter that surrounds our house, I find myself expecting things to get better sooner than I should. There are times when fight the urge to cry over something trivial, and have to scold myself for expecting two days worth of anti-depressants to fix things.

I expect my chemo to be easier, but last night I had a bad bout of diarrhea, and no Immodium-AD to fight it. So off Jen went, into the cold to Walmart. Diarhea isn't a trivial matter for me, nor nausea, as I can quickly become too dehydrated. If that happens, I'll get hospitalized, and that's the last place on earth I want to be. For some reason, the Immodium comes in blister packs that are almost impossible to open in a rush. It's like you have to reach a Zen calm, follow the directions exactly, and then you have a 50% chance of getting the damn pill out. Fortunately the pills did their magic, and I was able to get back to bed.

I slept as well as I have in the last week, but still far from what I need. I just need to give the meds the time they need. I've noticed that despite the Zofran, I'm starting to feel a bit nauseous. Nothing serious, just that feeling that all is not well, and that knowing the location of a sink/toilet/trashcan is valuable information. Hopefully this is just a side effect from last night. The last thing I need is something else affecting my appetite/diet.

It's 11 degrees outside, the type of winter I always complained about not having. There's snow on the ground, not too much wind (maybe 5 degrees of windchill), and it looks tranquil. Last night as I waited for Jen to return from Walmart, I stumbled across The Wizard Of Oz. I've always associated that show with Rachel, and I expected to break down watching it, especially when Dorothy returns to Kansas. I didn't, somehow feeling that this was a good memory I should cherish, not one I should fear. Of course, I'm crying now as I write this. Rachel I love and miss you...

Cj

1 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Rachel loved her Uncle Chris, too. All those hours of Amy and Rachel forcing you to talk like Donald Duck while they giggled and squealed and bounced around like demented little elves... That's a good, warm, happy memory. Let's keep that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home