I've got a good feeling about this

Monday, July 18, 2005

Tests, tests, and more tests

I'm fortunate to participate in a clinical trial comparing 5FU with Xeloda. 5FU is an intravenous chemo drug, and Xeloda is a pill based version of 5FU. Depending on where I get put in the trial, I'll take one of the two. 5FU will be delivered via a pump I wear 24/7, and Xeloda is given twice daily. I naturally would prefer Xeloda, even with my portacath.

Participating in the trial means I have to have more tests to spot any differences in the effectiveness of each protocol. This is good in some ways since it means less chance of something slipping by, but it's also a pain. I have to go to Omaha for an ultrasound, and then another series of xrays on Thursday. This is just so that the trial can get an accurate image of me before any treatment.

Xeloda has many of the same components of 5FU, but one interesting twist. It doesn't turn into 5FU unless a tumor cell activates it. This means that it's much more targeted, and less damaging (at least that's my hope). With either protocol, I'm curious how it will affect me. Instead of monster doses, the continuous dosage seems like it should be easier on me. Or perhaps I'm just being optimistic. After surgery I'll get the hammer...

1 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Chris - Finally figured out the "comment" vs "email" thing (with a little help from my much older bro). Your notes are beginning to sound much like Melissa's as she proceeded through her treatment. She became very well versed in the treatment, options, etc.

Hang in there, kiddo. And thanks for the great picture of you and Maddie. (Didn't find it until today, since I was always in email.)

lots of love,
"Auntie Sue"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home