I've got a good feeling about this

Monday, August 29, 2005

Treatment Finale

I had my last radiation treatment this morning, and I'm glad to be done. The folks at the radiation center are great, but I can't wait for the side effects to wear off. Since I stopped chemo on Friday, everything should be back to normal in 4-6 weeks. Just in time for surgery!

Surgery is starting to scare me, simply because it's a series of unknowns. How well has the tumor reacted to the pre-surgical treatment? Will I need a permanent colostomy? How painful will the recovery be? Will the nurses be cute? Will I care?

I had a bit of a fever on Saturday, after hanging out with one of the guys I've known the longest in NE. Rich (and Erin) is a wonderful guy, and I consider myself lucky to have met him and been befriended by him. I hadn't seen Rich since his daughter was born over a year ago, though email helped keep in touch a bit. I felt bad for not getting together more often, but we both had new kids in the house, and it's too easy to let time slip by.

Driving home, the fever started to give me chills, and I started to panic about coming down with some type of infection. I kicked myself for having gone up to play poker with Rich, but then realized that what happens happens. I can't become a hermit just on the off chance that I might get sick or tired. Seeing friends is very therapeutic.

The fever never got past 100.4, and Tylenol managed to knock it down over the next 12 hours. It gave me a real scare, and made me appreciate being healthy. Folks with chronic illnesses get used to not feeling well, and just suck it up. Rich is one of those guys. He's had diabetes forever, and I've never heard him complain once. Never. I can't imagine how many times he's had to test his levels, or give himself a shot. Even now with his pump, life as a diabetic can't be much fun, yet he manages to enjoy life more than anyone I know.

I said in one of my earlier entries that life is really about what you do, not who you are inside. I think I need to amend that a bit. I think life is really about what you do with the friends you make.

love

Cj

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris. I'm on my way to Dallas, Tx, for a couple of days and am again thankful for the Lord's provision and mercy in your life. He has indeed sustained you through this first phase and we will continue to pray that His sovereign hand will accomplish all that He has in mind for you. "And we know that for those who love God, all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose." (Ro.8:28)

Hang in there by the grace of God!

Love,
Mark

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
My husband and I are close friends of your Mom and Bill.We have been suffering for you along with them and wanted to send prayers and encouragement. I lost my Sister in April to ovarian cancer. Unlike you, she had no possibility of winning the battle. We have some idea what you have gone through and are happy to hear you have a break for awhile. Radiation is so exhausting, but each day will help a bit. As for the side effects - well - that's just not right!!! If I am remembering correctly, I think my Sis may have used Ativan with some relief for both pain and itching - and she sure did sleep. Withought the assault on your red blood cells from the chemo, you should begin to get some help with fatigue on that front. Is it possible something like a procrit (actually there's another newer one now) injection might help?
There is nothing in the world worse than you in trouble for your Mom. We will be here helping her and Bill as well as sending lots of positive energy your way. I've got a good feeling about this, too, Chris.

kate and kent parsons

 

Post a Comment

<< Home