I've got a good feeling about this

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Is this really happening?

Each time I visit the radiation center, or the infusion center upstairs, I'm struck by the appearance of so many of the patients undergoing treatment. Most are elderly, and few look healthy. I know that's a silly thing to say about someone with cancer, but each time I go, I see someone who makes me ask myself if this is really happening to me? Will I become like they are? Or is it just that cancer is more likely to afflict the elderly in our society?

I used to get upset seeing children with cancer on TV. It struck me as so unfair that someone so vulnerable could be stricken with such a wicked illness. I guess I never gave much thought to how hard it must be for the elderly to take. Kids are amazingly resilient, whereas elderly people often lack the stamina that youth provides. I guess I'm fortunate to be going through this at my age where I feel strong, and don't feel like my body is really failing me.

Part of me doesn't want the people I love to see the infusion center, for fear of their fear. But then I see the family members who come to lend support to the patients, and realize that there may be times that I need their support. That there will be times that I'm not as strong as I once was, that I need a hand to hold or a kind smile. I'm not good at accepting help, much less seeking it out, so it will be an interesting journey. Fortunately, my wife often has a better understanding of what I need than I do.

love,

Cj

1 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris - Sorry that I've missed a few days. Getting caught up on your log, I'm reminded of similar feelings as Melissa was in treatment. The first thing that hit me (the first time I visited her in the hospital) was a huge "Cancer Center" posting to greet those getting off the elevator. There it was - the C word. I learned that if you stared at your feet, you wouldn't see it.

Secondly (and this came in a note from Melissa): She had the same experience as you describe when going in and seeing others under treatment. She had hair. She looked "pretty". She didn't look like them. So, in typical Melissaesque, she sang to herself, "One of these things is not like the others. One of these things is not the same." Thank God for Sesame Street!

Hang in there.

love, Auntie Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home