I've got a good feeling about this

Friday, August 05, 2005

Weight loss and White Blood Cells

Had a good visit with the PA at the oncologist's office today. My white blood cell count is still too low, but it's better than last week's result. I need to be really careful about avoiding any infection or flu type stuff since my body will have a hard time fighting it off. She was more concerned with my weight loss. I've lost about 10-12lbs since treatment started, and that's not a very good rate. One or two pounds per week is fine, but 5-6 is too much.

Food just doesn't seem very appetizing to me now, even my favorite foods. Once I start eating something I'm usually okay, but even then, I just can't eat as much as I used to. At least I don't need to worry about eating health food. They just want me to get lots of calories and protein for now. Sadly my favorites like pizza and hamburgers are the least appealing things to me.

According to the treatment binder they give out to new patients, my fatigue isn't an unusual side effect of things. Between the chemo, radiation treatment, the cancer and the diagnosis, it's pretty common to experience fatigue. Not much I can do about it other than get plenty of rest, eat more, and try and get a bit more exercise than I have.

One of the better things to come out of the meeting was that neither of the chemo drugs I'll use during treatment will cause hair loss. I wasn't very concerned about losing my hair temporarily, but I know that it would freak out some people, especially my girls. Maddie is a bit pre-occupied about my porta-cath, and I know that she's worried about "Daddy being sick." So the last thing I want to do is freak her out.

I did notice something different at the infusion center; there were two patients either my age or younger. It's hard to tell the age of chemo patients, since it can age you quickly, but it was strange to see two young men there. It made me realize how horrible a disease cancer is, and that no one is immune. So, for those who haven't made appointments to have a colonoscopy, what the heck are you waiting for?

love,

Cj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home